You woke up with the worst stomach pain, persistent nausea, and multiple rounds of vomiting. Thinking back to last night’s party, you enjoyed some not-so-healthy junk food, and like any typical post-celebration move, you went straight to bed. And now you suspect food poisoning symptoms!
Energy drained, trying to figure out what to do? You feel too exhausted even to take ten steps. Then, a thought strikes: ‘Telehealth’! But before you book your appointment, you feel confused about whether food poisoning treatment via telehealth is available or not.
Pause for a moment right now! In the next five minutes, we’re about to untie all the knots of doubts in your mind. Let’s walk through what you can expect in a telehealth visit for food poisoning. We’ll also uncover the symptoms that are the telltale signs to visit a healthcare provider.
Let’s cut to the chase!
Yes! Telehealth providers can treat food poisoning treatment via telehealth by providing online consultations about managing food poisoning at home, safety measures and even prescribing medications, all from the convenience of your device.
Food poisoning mainly occurs after swallowing certain bacteria such as Salmonella, E.coli, or viruses. Your signs and symptoms may vary from mild to severe, depending upon the organism you swallowed with the food.
Generally, you can suspect food poisoning if you or any family member suffer from nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea, fever and vomiting. The symptoms may last for a few hours or several days.
Suppose you’re concerned that you or your family member might have contracted food poisoning. In that case, you can contact a telehealth provider immediately to help diagnose and provide treatment recommendations as soon as possible.
Nevertheless, it’s important to recognize certain constraints when utilizing telehealth for food poisoning management. At times, a visit to an urgent care facility or emergency room is necessary for proper diagnosis, identification of the underlying cause, and proper physical examination to eliminate the pathogen completely.
Keep reading further to know when you might need to see an urgent care or emergency.
Amidst the agony of food poisoning, online board-certified doctors provide vital relief by offering expert guidance and prescriptions without needing a stressful hospital or clinic visit.
Here’s how this telemedicine can help you in managing food poisoning symptoms at home.
- Easy access to medical experts: You can connect with a board-certified expert who can assess your signs and symptoms, diagnose, and recommend further treatment or a self-care plan, depending on the severity. It’s like being under the shadow of doctors through your screen.
- Explicit medicine queries: You might need clarification about whether you need over-the-counter medicines such as pain relief or anti-emetics or whether you must have a doctor’s prescription to start antibiotic therapy. Well, your telemedicine expert can solve all your confusion regarding what medicines would be best suited for you.
- Counseling regarding at-home care: You need to be cautious while managing food poisoning symptoms at home. Therefore, telehealth doctors can help you by counseling you about a safe and healthy diet and drinking ample fluids to prevent dehydration and further complications.
- Telehealth monitoring for food poisoning: Some telehealth platforms integrate tracking your vital signs and symptoms after your online consultation. If you’re one of those who face difficulty adhering to treatment plans for any reason, this can be a game changer as you can track your health records.
- Text alerts with reminders: Imagine you’re knee-deep in your day, completely forgot about that antibiotic, and suddenly, ding! The text alerts from your provider got your back, reminding you about your meds. It’s like having a personal assistant 24/7 for your health.
- Online follow-ups or in-person visits: Your telehealth provider guides you regarding follow-up consultations online or whether you’ll need to visit urgent care or a hospital in person for further lab tests.
A word of caution!! Mild food poisoning symptoms wear off within hours or a day when the bacteria or virus is expelled. Still, in some cases, you need immediate medical attention from a doctor for a proper assessment and treatment plan.
Keep scrolling to uncover the telltale signs that demand immediate medical attention, whether it’s a rush to the clinic or the convenience of telehealth. The next revelation might just be what you didn’t know!
Never ignore these unmistakable signs of food poisoning, and seek immediate medical attention if you face any of the following.
- Diarrhea lasting for more than three days
- Very loose, watery diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- You feel severe abdominal pain or cramps
- Frequent vomiting or intolerability to eat solid food or liquids
- Dehydration symptoms (extreme weakness, dizziness, fatigue, inability to urinate, dry mouth)
Not to mention, if you’re experiencing fever or any of the above symptoms during these days, you need to contact your doctor immediately.
Can An Online Doctor Prescribe Medication For Food Poisoning?
Yes, most telehealth platforms provide the facility to prescribe and refill food poisoning medications online without the need to visit a healthcare facility.
However, an online consultation is required so the doctor can assess the severity of food poisoning symptoms and determine the best medicine for you or if you’re required to visit physically for a detailed checkup.
After your virtual consultation, the expert sends your prescription electronically to a nearby pharmacy, and there you have it! All you have to do is pick up your medicines and start your treatment right away.
You might need to visit an in-person healthcare facility if you note any of the following signs:
- Dehydration symptoms, the doctor might prescribe IV fluids
- Bloody diarrhea, inability to tolerate food or frequent vomiting.
- If the fever doesn’t subside or it reoccurs.
- If your child or any elderly individual faces any severe food poisoning symptoms or perhaps unusual symptoms like seizures or unconsciousness.
- You’ve completed your treatment, but the symptoms are not wearing off
Note that you need to take quick action if you encounter any food poisoning patient with severe symptoms and rush to an emergency room for a quick check-up.
Yes, most insurance plans cover telehealth consultations for food poisoning. But when booking your telehealth appointment, you must check with your health plan whether they cover telehealth services or not.
Also, remember that some telehealth providers might not accept insurance, too. Therefore, check the insurance coverage with your telehealth provider as well and then book your telemedicine appointment.
Taking precautionary measures can stop your symptoms from worsening. Therefore, follow these steps to control the pesky organism and prevent complications.
- Topping up fluids: Do not compromise on your fluid intake if you have diarrhea or vomiting. Drink as much water and fresh juices as you can, as it will help wash away the organism from the gut and replace the lost electrolytes and fluids.
- No self-medication: Do not self-medicate without a doctor’s advice, as some over-the-counter medicines might worsen your symptoms.
- Try the BRAT diet: Many medical experts recommend eating bland food that includes bananas, rice, apples, and toast.
- Avoiding a hard diet:Avoid foods that are difficult to digest, such as spicy foods, caffeine, alcohol, or junk food.
If you have six or more runny stools or watery diarrhea within 24 hours and persistent vomiting, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
With Family Urgent Care, you can start talking to a board-certified medical expert about your symptoms within 24 hours.
Whether you need a proper treatment plan for food poisoning symptoms or health counseling to prevent gastric-related issues in the future, we are ready to help you!
After being a part of a telehealth family urgent care community, you get the following benefits:
- Immediate access to a healthcare team from home listening to your health queries.
- Experienced family physicians are at your service to help you recover from your existing illness.
- Receive necessary medications without delay as prescriptions are sent electronically to your nearby pharmacy.
- Personalized care plans for you or your family members which are tailored to your health needs.
- We provide quality care without breaking the bank, as we cover a wide range of insurance providers.
- Schedule virtual visits at your convenience any day of the week.
- Book same-day telehealth appointments whenever time is of the essence.
So, are you ready to keep your health issues at bay with Family Urgent Care? Book your telehealth appointment now!